Paying for college takes a lot of planning. Tuition costs rise every year and graduates are buckling under the weight of debt from loans. For some, the expense of higher education is prohibitive, with many talented students being forced to cut their dreams short. Scholarships can make getting a degree more affordable. Students qualify based on academic performance, special interests, or financial needs. If you’ve been asked to help with the process, we’ve got you covered! Here’s a list of sample recommendation letters for scholarship applications that best meet your students’ needs.
How To Write Scholarship Recommendation Letters
If you’ve been asked to write a recommendation letter for your student’s scholarship, you might feel overwhelmed. You want to help your student, but you’re worried your letter won’t be good enough. In the end, you can only do your best, so lead with your heart and consider the following suggestions:
- Use letterhead and add your personal information (full name, title, school name, etc.) in the top left corner.
- Fill the whole page (at least 300 words) with an introduction, two to three paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- In the first paragraph, introduce your student, specify the scholarship for which they are applying, and share details about the nature and length of your relationship.
- In the body paragraphs, describe the ways your student is suitable and deserving of the scholarship.
- In your final section, pull everything together and emphasize your student’s strengths as well as the reasons why you are endorsing them.
Here’s a quick video on how to craft an effective scholarship recommendation letter:
Don’t feel you can honestly provide a positive recommendation? Gently decline their request for a letter. Avoid putting yourself in a position where you will have to be insincere. You don’t want to write something negative because it could cost the student an opportunity to earn a scholarship.
Sample Recommendation Letters for Scholarship Applications
1. General scholarship recommendation letter
This is a great sample scholarship letter if you’re trying to offer a rounded view of a student’s performance in high school. You’ll include information about your experience with them as well as your thoughts on their potential success in a higher-education setting.
2. Sample Rhodes Scholarship letter
If your student is a candidate for a prestigious award such as the Rhodes Scholarship, this sample scholarship letter will give you an idea of what to share with the selection committee. With these types of recommendation letters, you want to provide as much praise and positive information as possible.
3. Scholarship letter for math students
There are many great scholarship opportunities for strong math students. This sample recommendation letter outlines how to share not only your student’s math talents but the other traits that make them a good candidate as well.
4. Leadership scholarship sample letter
This helpful scholarship recommendation letter offers an example for highlighting leadership skills. Back up your endorsement by sharing specific situations as well as participation in any committees, programs, and events where your student excelled.
5. Scholarship letter for international studies
Does your student plan to go abroad? If so, review this sample for writing a strong letter of recommendation for this specific type of scholarship. Be sure to include evidence as to why you believe your student is well-rounded and exceptional.
6. Environmentalist scholarship letter
Has one of your students decided to pursue a degree in environmental sciences and wildlife? If so, this scholarship recommendation letter is a good example because it concisely highlights their strengths and shares why they would make a good candidate.
7. Scholarship letter for students who need financial assistance
No one should miss out on a college education because they can’t afford to pay. You can help them overcome this barrier! This excellent sample letter of recommendation shows the details to include for scholarships based on financial need.
8. Scholarship recommendation letter for STEM students
There are many scholarships for students who plan to pursue a career in STEM fields. If you’ve been asked to write a letter of recommendation for this type of scholarship, this sample will give you a good idea of what to include.
9. Greek society scholarship letter sample
Fraternities and sororities can be a great source of financial support for college and university students. Review this sample recommendation letter for scholarship applications for Greek society candidates.
10. Personal endorsement for scholarships
This sample recommendation letter for a scholarship application is best when you can’t vouch for the prospective student’s academic performance but want to share information about their personal character and how it relates to the scholarship program.
Do you have a great sample recommendation letter for scholarship applications? Please share it in the comments below!
Check out these helpful teacher cover letter examples too.
Want more articles like this? Be sure to subscribe to our newsletters!